This is the kid who
- Pooped in the neighbor’s yard.
- Boo-ed his siblings at a recital.
- Ran away from home to avoid getting an immunization.
- Pretended to be special-ed for weeks to get out of math, ending with a call from the school offering him special services.
- Spit into the wind on an observation tower at Gettysburg National Battlefield, hitting an innocent observer square on the chest.
- Thinking he was lost, ran screaming through Wal-Mart pushing a kiddie cart, me chasing behind him with my cart, yelling his name.
- Sneaked down stairs on Christmas Eve to put coal in all our stockings.
- Locked his brothers shoes in a hotel safe and forgot the combination.
- Dumped my sister out of a kayak into a cold lake.
- There’s more – I came up with this list in less than five minutes.
Last Friday, my little boy looked like this. He successfully walked a beautiful young woman through the high school gymnasium as an emcee spoke of his glowing accomplishments. He actually gave a shout out to me, his mother.
I cried. I’m still crying. God is good.